Latrobe Valley businesses strongly opposed to the Grand Final Parade public holiday have had their concerns aired in Parliament by Member for Morwell Russell Northe.
Mr Northe told Parliament that businesses and community organisation right across the Morwell electorate were unhappy with the Andrews Government’s AFL Grand Final Parade public holiday.
“Local businesses have made it very clear they are vehemently opposed to this Melbourne-centric public holiday,” Mr Northe said.
Feedback from Morwell electorate businesses about the October 2 Parade Holiday includes:
• Loss of income, loss of services to patients. (Health provider) • 5 per cent loss of monthly turnover and still having to pay employees for a footy game. I’m disgusted! (Eye Care)
• I am disgusted!!! We will close for the day so that we don’t have to pay staff higher rates. We are also on call for our customers and this will increase costs due to penalty rates. (Tyre business)
• Cannot afford to open. Will have to close for the day. (Fruiterer)
• Forces me to close on the busiest day of our week – a Friday. I am a small business owner with 5 staff and I am forced to pay them to have an unnecessary day off. (Travel agent)
• Direct wages expense of approximately $10,000 for 28 staff – no productivity gain (Employment agency) • It will cost me $1,800 in wages for no work/return. Basically a $1,800 loss (Builder)
“As you can tell by the tone of the responses, local businesses are extremely angry that Daniel Andrews has completely ignored the impact of his extra holiday on our local business,” Mr Northe said.
“The Government’s own independent analysis shows Daniel Andrews’ two new public holidays will cost the Victorian economy close to $1 billion but Labor still won’t listen to our concerns.”
Mr Northe is still surveying in the Morwell electorate, asking people to indicate if they support or oppose the two new public holidays and what impact the holiday will have on local businesses.
“So far 96.9% of respondents say they do not support the Grand Final Parade public holiday,” Mr Northe said. The survey is available from Mr Northe’s electorate office at 66 George Street in Morwell.
Media contact: 5133 9088