Nationals MPs Russell Northe and Melina Bath are calling for nominations for the 2016 Victorian Disability Sector Awards.
Mr Northe said the awards recognise and honour individuals, businesses and organisations that are making a difference to the lives of Victorians with a disability.
“It’s especially important that we acknowledge the contribution of individuals and organisations across Gippsland that have chosen to work on improving the lives of people with disability, whether that be in a voluntary or professional capacity,” Mr Northe said.
“Judges of the 2016 awards are looking for entries that demonstrate achievements in advocacy, support and leadership.”
Ms Bath said the awards help to recognise carers ongoing commitment to supporting people with a disability achieve their goals and aspirations. “This year there are seven categories, with a strong focus on empowerment and inclusion of people with a disability,” Ms Bath said.
The award categories are:
- Excellence in Advocacy and Promotion of Human Rights Award
- Excellence in Social and Cultural Access Award
- Excellence in Accessible Communications and Technology Award
- Excellence in Employment Outcomes Award
- Volunteer Award
- Emerging Leader Award
- Lifetime Achievement Honour Roll Nominees selected as finalists by the judging panel will be invited to the 2016 Victorian Disability Awards ceremony on 15 June where the winners will be announced.
Nominations are open from 1 February to 24 March.
For more information or to nominate you can visit ww.dhs.vic.gov.au/for-service-providers/disability/disability-recognition-awards/victorian-disability-sector-award
Media contact: 5133 9088